Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Little Bit of Life

Hi again, family. I'm back once again from the dearth.

So, we moved! We're in our house, we're unpacked, and things are starting to feel like home. (Although Blake felt immediately at home the second he drove both cars into the garage. Hooray for cars no longer taking on hail damage!) The walls are so big and our picture frames so little that decorating is proving to be a bit of a challenge. All of that will come in time, and when the budget is ready for it. :)

We had the extreme pleasure of having Mom Hull and Brynn come out to visit. Mom and I talked each other's ears off for 4 days straight to make up for all of the kitchen chats we've been missing out on for the last 6 months. (Yes, friends! We've been in Texas for half a year!) Brynn was the absolute best baby charmer of the world. Seriously, she and Eliza were two peas in a pod and even me, Blake, and Grandma would get the cold shoulder from Eliza--she just wanted Brynn! I tell you what, Utah people... Keep Brynn on your sights for potential babysitters. I seriously did almost nothing by means of baby care while Brynn was here--diapers, baths, dressing, nighttime routines, putting down for naps, feeding... Brynn is seriously one impressive babysitter! During naps, we took it easy watching chick flicks, making cookies and popcorn, and we enjoyed one heck of a party over at Uncle Kevin and Aunt Alene's. You guys were WONDERFUL company, Mom and Brynn! Honestly, come back ANY time!

Right when I got home from taking Mom and Brynn to the airport, I got hit with pinkeye and a pretty severe cold. The pinkeye cleared up with antibiotic eyedrops. The cold still has not, and has grown in intensity. I finally got on an antibiotic hoping that it's a sinus or respiratory infection that will clear up with some meds, but if not, I guess I'll just have to tough it out.  I'm on Day 12 so far, and if the cold doesn't kill me, the cabin fever might. :) Blake and Liza picked up the cold, too, but haven't been hit as hard as I have been. Eliza knows how to handle illness: sleep 16-17 hours a day. (She's been sleeping in an hour or two and consistently taking 3-hour naps, only to sign to me a few hours later that she's tired and ready for bed. Incredible!)

Blake got a new calling:  Ward Executive Secretary. Just a few days in and I can already tell this will be an incredibly busy and rewarding experience for him. I'm grateful for the opportunities we have to learn and grow in the church. And it's a wonderful thing to be needed here in Texas.

Miss Eliza is doing quite well. She sprouted some molars in the back so she can now shovel her food in at even greater speeds, which she enjoys. :) Her particular favorites right now are banana bread, cheerios (always!), pizza, and crackers. That list was tough to make because she just sort of eats everything without question. (I know that's not fair, Mom and Dad. I suppose I'll have to endure karma with one of my other children.) She also loves brushing her teeth--months into it and it's still a thrill every morning.

Eliza loves swimming which is convenient because that's about all that's remotely fun to do outside in Texas summer heat, or so we've heard. June has actually been incredibly mild--we think it's hot, but compared to what it normally is, we've gotten lucky! July is right around the corner though, so we'll see what it and August have to offer. I have a feeling swimming will become a daily ritual for me and Eliza.

Eliza is also loving her books - her current favorite is Over in the Meadow. She also loves expressing herself verbally and through sign language. It's amazing to me how much she knows! She loves to communicate, which is a total thrill to me because I'm the same way. Someday sooner than I know the little babbles with recognizable words will turn into full run-on sentences that never stop. I'm loving every stage.

Some recent pictures:

"Organizing" the tupperware. One of her favorite pastimes. She's been sad that I won't let her help with unloading the dishwasher/organizing tupperware since she's been sick.
This face is in response to one of the following directives:
"Eliza, can you show me the happy face?"
"Say cheese!"
"Show me your teeth."
She cracks us up and keeps us smiling.
Helping Daddy wash the car.
Swimming - this was her first swim back at our old apartment.
We've got more pictures on Blake's phone--I'll see if I can figure out how to get them on here. Until then, stay healthy, be happy, and embrace your own daily enterprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment