Once upon another time, I had a roommate Melissa. I will love that girl to my dying day, but I'll have to save my Ode to Melissa and Suzy post for another day. One thing Melissa introduced me to is the Day Zero Project. It's a perfect heaven for goal-obsessed individuals like myself. The basic idea is that you make a list of 101 things you want to accomplish in 1001 days (just under three years). Big things, little, things, important things, trivial things... Back in 2010, I didn't make a full list, but I remember some of the goals I had thought of that would go on my list if I had one.
I recently made an account on dayzeroproject.com and I'm working on compiling my own list of 101 Things. It's amazing to me just how different they are from the list items I had brainstormed four years ago. Most items pertain to things I want to do as a wife and mother, many of which are seemingly insignificant. But they reflect just how much I have changed and grown since my single, college self.
Voluntarily leave the house every day for a week. Oh how I love my dear little hermitage. This goal will be a blessing to Little Lizie who dearly loves adventures.
Make a music video with my daughters. Eliza's current song choice would undoubtedly come from one of the following fine cinematic masterpieces: Mary Poppins, Enchanted, or Tangled.
Make my mom's carrot cake.
Achieve a weed-free lawn.
Nothing all that magnificent, but just little things that will remind me to live my life on purpose. I want to be a "drag a chair to the counter and let's make cookies together" mom. I want to be a "let's go on a picnic somewhere we can see a temple and sing primary songs" mom. I want to be a "let's take on a home project together and create something beautiful" wife. I want to be a "let's have a garden this year" wife.
Most of what I do in my day-to-day life sometimes feels rather uneventful. But my life really is living. And it's rich, beautiful, dynamic living. Sometimes I just have to remind myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment